Sail Sand Point Fundraising

Sail Sand Point is, and has been, one of the jewels in the Pacific Northwest sailing scene. The community sailing center, which can trace its roots to Jonathan and Marcy Edwards, has put an amazing number of kids and adults on the water in the last couple of decades.

The annual fundraising event is in August, and includes a “Party on the Pier” at the Center. Last year there were was great conversation and an amazing paella.

There’s no Party on the Pier this pandemic year, but there there needs be fundraising. Here’s the message from Seth Muir:

“You may recall that the PotP typically launches our annual campaign, which runs for the month of August. Last year’s campaign was a great success raising over $18,000 which helped us improve our fleet of safety boats. This year’s campaign, underway now with a modest goal of $11,000, is for general operating support for our organization so that we can emerge from this challenging financial year prepared to continue our work bringing sailing to people of all ages, backgrounds and abilities. Specifically, gifts made in August will help us launch our fledgling Siebel Sailors Program as the NW’s Primary Siebel Center (here’s an article with details) further removing barriers for participation from under-served communities. It becomes clearer to us every day how important the opportunity we provide is, and how privileged access to water recreation has become.  It is as important as ever that we push through these uncertain times and, if you are in a position to support our work this month, it will be greatly appreciated.  

Make your own contribution during the month of August here!  https://www.sailsandpoint.org/donate/

Come down and go sailing through our Open Boating Program!

Thanks again for being part of our community and for helping us do this work!”

Sail Sand Point and all our community sailing programs are essential, and when we start to return to normalcy I predict sailing will be seen as one of the safest and most viable activities in which to participate. Let’s make sure we support this resource.

Sea Stories Are Important

Sea Stories Are Important

Here’s something special. Captain Tarin Todd, harbor master at Tacoma’s Foss Harbor Marina, was inspired to write from his heart in a marina newsletter. After reading this, go create some sea stories, even (especially) in virus times. Then tell them often, even if there’s no campfire and no guitar. After all, the stories get better each time they’re told!

By Tarin Todd

Boating is such a unique hobby.

Boating simultaneously develops independence, camaraderie, self reliance and unity. We are alone on our boats, and yet we have the VHF radio that keeps us connected. When something goes wrong, we must first try to solve it alone, and when that fails, we reach out to whoever is in the vicinity to assist. We leave the dock a singular vessel heading out to our next great adventure, and when we arrive at our destination or return to our home berth, we often chat with fellow boaters on the dock, regaling them in our most recent adventures afloat. It is those moments, those sea stories we relate to others, that carries on a tradition spanning centuries, millennia.

If we pause and think for a moment about the time humans have spent on the water, a vast majority of it has been in the pursuit of discovery. What is up that river? What can be found in the next bay? Even today, a place visited hundreds or thousands of times is discovered anew by the family who just bought their first boat and are on their maiden voyage. Yes, we have charts and GPS now that help us navigate to these spots but upon arrival there is always discovery that occurs. What sort of ice cream does that little dock store have? Where does that trailhead on the beach lead? Is there a better anchorage on the other side of the island?

Captain Tarin Todd at Seattle’s Opening Day last year.

All of these experiences will become a personal sea story, a memory that will forever have a place in the mind and a place at story telling circles. On more than one occasion, I have ended up sitting next to a campfire on Sucia Island amongst other boaters we have just met.  Someone always has a guitar (I think they are hidden in the trees there for just these moments), voices rise in song, sea shanties of old. In the pause between songs, stories fill the air. “We saw a huge pod of orcas today! And there wasn’t another boat around anywhere! As we floated there watching them…”  Another song fills the space as this moment’s story teller finishes their yarn.  The group, all strangers until just a short time ago, and now the closest friends a boater could have, even if temporary, take turns sharing experiences that come to mind, reminded maybe by a lyric in one of the songs, or a memory floated to the surface because of another’s story.  All sit quietly, enthralled as the next chronicles their tale of adventure and discovery afloat.  Even the telling of misadventures has a place in these moments.  What was once a scary or dangerous moment can become a teaching for others on how to handle an emergency.  It can become the tale of heroics, ingenuity and fast thinking that saved the day.

Sea stories are an important part of the boating culture. Oral history is a human phenomenon that boaters embrace without even thinking about it.  I encourage you to notice these moments, the times when the stories begin to flow.  As you listen, embrace the story teller’s tale.  Try to imagine you are experiencing their adventure first hand and allow them the space to have their moment in sharing their experience.  Even if you have had a similar event occur in your boating, be sure that you allow the teller to celebrate their own in that moment, because for them, that is what they know, what they have experienced. When it is your turn, be sure to share, rather than “one up”.  With your tale, add to the moment instead of trying to prove you had the better adventure.  We all have our own unique stories to tell and in them the most precious of moments to share.  A sea story is a gift, a window into the life of another mariner.  That they want to share that with you should be a compliment and a treasure to keep.

Boating, like life, is a constant education.  As we learn our lessons and in turn want to share them with others, we can celebrate together those moments and support each other in our personal journeys, both on land and afloat.  Share your sea stories, and share them often.  Allow others a venue to share theirs.  I truly believe that it is these moments that makes boating even more spectacular and unique of a hobby.  Be good to one another and I will see you on the dock.

Bio: Born and raised in the Tacoma area, Tarin grew up playing on the shores of Puget Sound at the Tacoma Outboard Association’ club facility, which his family were members. His boating career started when he was 14 with the Sea Scout Ship Charles N. Curtis in Tacoma. Earning his 100 ton Master License when he was 21, Tarin still enjoys educating new boaters and young people to the joys of boating on the Salish Sea. He has cruise extensively from Olympia, WA to Princess Lousia, B.C. Tarin is currently the Marina Manager at Foss Harbor Marina in Tacoma. Whether sailing on the bay, cruising to the San Juans or diving with friends on Ruston Way, Tarin is most at home near the salt water.  

Briggs’ Mysteries

Briggs’ Mysteries

It’s a real pleasure to be able to write about Jeffrey Briggs’ novels, Out of the Cold Dark Sea and this year’s Within a Shadowed Forest, both published by Water’s End Press.. Many years ago, Jeff invited me to be a part of a writer’s group he put together. I learned a lot and could see with the talent and effort he was putting into his writing, Jeff would some day have some great books to his credit. That day has come.

Jeff’s new book.

While these novels aren’t about sailing or boating per se, they are appropriately called “waterfront mysteries,” and they are infused with the Pacific Northwest feel. Jeff has lived aboard and cruised the Northwest, run the Northwest Yacht Brokers Association and at one time wrote frequently for 48 North. He has also published two other books, Confessions of a Liveaboard and SoundWatch: An Environmental Guide for Boaters. He’s been a part of the PNW sailing community for more than 30 years.

The book that introduced Martha.

Out of the Cold Dark Sea surprised me. I expected something aboard boats. Frankly, I’m really glad the setting was waterfront and not onboard. It’s pretty hard to set a mystery on a boat, but you certainly can set a mystery around the Seattle waterfront with launching ramps, nearby rare book stores and the police boat moorage on Lake Union. In this book Briggs introduces us to heroine Martha Whitaker. She’s all you could want in a heroine; smart, persistent, tough as hell, flawed and with a backstory that makes you root for her all the way. The first book was a mystery and adventure story that kept my interest and made me curious about her next adventure

And the next adventure sounds exciting, even it has more to do with the Lake Superior waterfront than Seattle’s. From the Amazon ordering page: “Seattle attorney Martha Whitaker is beginning to heal after recent betrayals left her wounded and grieving. An explosion in Minnesota sends her off to the Lake Superior waterfront to help her friend James MacAuliffe. Someone blew up his truck and a charred body is discovered in the wreckage. Who is it? And, if MacAuliffe was the intended victim, who is after him and why? Together, he and Martha pursue a trail of clues that lead them up the North Shore to the scenic village of Grand Marais, into the vast northern forest, and onto the frigid waters of Lake Superior in search of answers—and a shadowed killer.”

I can’t speak to Martha’s next adventure, I haven’t read it – yet. But these days books are a great escape from the reality we’re in.

Happy Birthday West Coast Sailing

Happy Birthday West Coast Sailing

West Coast Sailing is celebrating 15 years (!) with a little video. I wish them a hearty happy birthday.

I have a rather special relationship with West Coast Sailing and its founder George Yioulos. As a Laser fleet captain and district secretary, I asked for and received help promoting the fleet as soon as they were on the scene. As a writer, I’ve leaned on George for helping me understand the marine industry. As a customer, they’ve always come through for me. As a sailor, I’ve seen WCS step up to sponsor and support both community sailing and some of our most notable international racers. Finally, WCS has been a great support to sailish.com.

West Coast Sailing deserves every bit of their success. And here’s their video:

Privilege in Sailing and Life

My friend and colleague Joe Cline, editor of 48 North Magazine, has just come up with something great. I’ll share it below in its entirety, but it’s already been posted on the 48North site and Sailing Scuttlebutt. While it stands by itself as a statement, it also serves as a starting point for a conversation. I’ll add a couple thoughts after you get a chance to read his.

Finding inspiration in how maritime right-of-way rules determine privilege

I have been reflecting on the notion of privilege recently, and the ways I may have been a recipient or beneficiary of privilege without recognizing it. It’s leading to ruminations and realizations, both uncomfortable and worthwhile. One thing I’ve found helpful is thinking about how that word—privilege—is used in a maritime context. 

Joe Cline

In right-of-way rules, “privileged” and “stand-on” are sometimes used interchangeably. Such as: a vessel being overtaken is the most privileged vessel. In this context, privilege is the allowance to continue on your course unaffected, while others must make way for your passage. Pretty standard stuff for boaters. It’s also sensible and in-line with some societal definitions of privilege—the ability to live your life generally as you wish, unaffected, with some others altering course to give you an easier pathway forward. 

Here’s where it gets interesting: to which boat is privilege given in the right-of-way scenario? Sometimes it’s just the rules (starboard rights over port, for example). Yet, in most cases, it is the less advantaged vessel. 

The vessel constrained by its draft in a narrow channel is less able to move without running aground than smaller boats nearby. The overtaken boat may have fewer options for speed and maneuverability. Power-driven vessels give privilege to sailboats, whose mobility is limited by conditions and the nature of their propulsion. And, when two sailboats are on the same tack, it is the leeward boat—the one with less access to the wind, and thus less speed and maneuverability—that receives privilege. 

It is, of course, more complicated than that, but you get the point. There is inherent fairness and virtue in the principle that boats with more options and ability can, and therefore should, make accommodations for those with less.

Conventional definitions of privilege on land look a lot more like the windward boat or the overtaking boat. The maritime definition has been helping me process my own sense of privilege, and has given me a template with which to think about how I might reframe certain definitions and priorities in pursuit of a more just and equal world. 

It is important to say this out loud. As a white man, I have been the recipient of incalculable structural privilege. I am the figurative stand-on vessel far more often than not, and I have enjoyed these advantages without asking for or earning them. This moment hurts, as I feel shamefully exposed for mistakes I’ve made in taking this reality for granted.

Conversely, there are a host of disadvantages and an infinitely deeper hurt that my neighbors and friends of color have endured, and continue to endure. And this is far more important to say aloud.

Boating and sailing are often broadly associated with societal privilege. Optimistically, water-borne enthusiasts hope to increase diversity on the water, and lots of us talk about that. Realistically, too little has been done to take steps toward this attainable goal; and boating and sailing are presently activities with disappointingly homogenous audiences. 

I believe the vast majority of boaters and landlubbers alike aspire to be instruments of peace, equality, and justice. Yet in spite (and because!) of those good intentions, we have a lot of work to do. Like so many others, I’m taking time to listen, to read, to donate, and to resolve to be better. I encourage everyone to join me in these commitments, and challenge us all to work toward tangible good and actionable change. What form this change can take isn’t clear to me today, but this is the overdue beginning of a long conversation in which I welcome help to learn and discern what we can do to help foster more inclusiveness in boating. 

As a starting point—like sailors always do for inspiration—we can look to the water. Whatever your experience of life and these difficult last few weeks, the maritime right-of-way rules remind us that privilege can and should be given to the disadvantaged, not the other way around. Be more like boats.

In humility and solidarity,
Joe

Joe’s analogy is apt. It’s essential that the more maneuverable, more advantaged vessel, make allowances for the less maneuverable. It’s common sense.

I’ll add this. What would it look like if boaters all just grabbed what they can, where they can, ran roughshod over their neighbors, as some people seem to think people should in society. That kind of social Darwinism just wouldn’t work on the water. I get it, some boaters are always going to have the megayacht and some the 14′ outboard. But the megayacht owner shouldn’t be able to run over the guy with an outboard just because he’s bigger and faster.

And I’ll add another. I was taught that when a fellow mariner is in trouble, and you can help, you do help. It doesn’t matter what kind of boat or what kind of boater it is, you help. You don’t make a big deal of it, you just do it. When talking to non-sailors about our sport, I point to that proudly. In general, sailors and power boaters understand why that’s important and practice it.

Translated to white privilege and racism, even outside sailing, our responsibilities are fairly obvious. First and foremost respect everyone. Secondly, make allowances for those without the same maneuverability. Finally, if someone’s in trouble, you help.

So, yes, Joe nailed it. We sailing writers often find truth in sailing, and he uncovered a great lesson. – Kurt Hoehne

Margaret Pommert, Force of Nature, Recognized

Margaret Pommert, Force of Nature, Recognized

Margaret Pommert was just recognized as with the 2020 BoatUS/National Women’s Sailing Association (NWSA) Leadership in Women’s Sailing Award. I’m lucky enough to see her when she stops by the Swiftsure office to plan The Sailing Foundation events with fellow Sailing Foundation stalwart Ryan Helling.

Margaret Pommert

She’s called a force of nature in this release, and no doubt that’s true, but what I see is a sailor dedicated to broadening the appeal of the sport and giving everyone the tools to make it safer, and feel safer.

Earlier this year, she put together the Safety at Sea seminar on Bainbridge Island. Watch this pages in the next few days as I’ll be posting photos from the event to help people get excited for the next seminar!

Here’s the press release from BoatUS:

Margaret Pommert Honored with 2020 BoatUS/NWSA Leadership in Women’s Sailing Award

2020 BoatUS/NWSA Leadership in Women’s Sailing Award honoree Margaret Pommert (left, at helm) with crew competing in the 2016 Pacific Northwest One Design Regatta

Margaret Pommert (left, at helm) with crew competing in the 2016 Pacific Northwest One Design Regatta Jan Anderson

MARBLEHEAD, Mass., May 20, 2020 – Margaret Pommert of Seattle, Washington, has been named recipient of the 2020 BoatUS/National Women’s Sailing Association (NWSA) Leadership in Women’s Sailing Award. The award annually recognizes an individual with a record of achievement in inspiring, educating, and enriching the lives of women through sailing.

“Margaret has been called ‘a force of nature’ for her enthusiasm and effectiveness in getting more women on the water,” said NWSA President Debbie Huntsman. “She encourages women to step up to new responsibilities and to expand their capabilities, confidence, and boating horizons.”

Margaret Pommert

Added Huntsman, “Margaret also has developed impressive, forward-thinking mentoring and online learning opportunities for bringing more women sailors forward as certified instructors and licensed mariners. In doing so, she has truly shown exceptional leadership in women’s sailing and is most deserving of this award.”

A Pacific Northwest native, Pommert is an American Sailing Association and US Sailing certified instructor and holds a 100-ton U.S. Coast Guard Master Captain’s License. For many years, she taught sailing in California on dinghies, keelboats, catamarans and monohulls, and she now teaches at a variety of locations in the Pacific Northwest as well as online. Pommert also works for the US Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland, teaching new keelboat instructors. One of the nation’s largest sailing schools named her 2019 Instructor of the Year.

Beyond instruction, Pommert skippered an all-woman J105 sailing team that twice won a fundraising regatta for The Breast Cancer Research Foundation. She was on the only all-woman U.S. team at the 2018 J22 International Midwinter Championship Regatta, co-led a flotilla up the Inside Passage to Alaska five times, sailed a Pacific Crossing, and explored many top cruising destinations. She also writes a monthly column for women sailors in Northwest Yachting magazine, created the free boating education website seattleonthewater.com, and serves on The Sailing Foundation’s Executive Committee where she is the organization’s Offshore Safety at Sea training organizer. Pommert has served as a member of the Washington State Boating Programs Advisory Committee, which provides recommendations on ways to enhance boating safety and evaluates grants on boating access infrastructure.

Doug Fryer Epitomized PNW Sailing

Doug Fryer Epitomized PNW Sailing

Pacific Northwest sailing legend Doug Fryer died about a month ago. Much has already been written about him elsewhere, but I’d like to add a few thoughts here, even though I never knew him.

Night Runner

A few years after Night Runner was launched I was working at Sailing Magazine in Wisconsin. In the course of my work there editing Bob Perry, I saw photos of the magnificent Night Runner, and was taken aback by how a boat like that could be conceived, created and competitive in the Pacific Northwest. What a cool region, I thought. Eventually, largely because it was such a great sailing area, I moved here.

When Fryer died my colleague Ryan Helling, who served on The Sailing Foundation board with him, related how “just the other day” Fryer had been promoting some initiative at the Foundation.

Night Runner
Doug Fryer

From everything I’ve heard and read about Doug Fryer, he epitomized PNW sailing. As a young man he worked as for a sailmaker and as a rigger. He created a true original in Night Runner, utilizing local talents for the design and build. He raced very successfully. He cruised far and wide was awarded the Cruising Club of America’s Blue Water Medal.

Through it all and with what must have been an unreal amount of energy, he gave back to the sport. I wish I had known him. Sailish readers, whether you knew him or not, can be appreciative of Fryer’s example and contributions to PNW sailing.

48 North has a web page dedicated to Doug Fryer, with Andy Schwenk’s first-hand accounts. Here’s the obituary. Sail on, Doug.

The Maiden Story Continues – Saving SUPs and Seeking a Spin

The Maiden Story Continues – Saving SUPs and Seeking a Spin

Ed. Note. a few days ago we learned PNWer Cary Kaczowka is a member of Maiden‘s important world voyage crew. Here she gives us some insight into life aboard, reveals big plans for Maiden, and relays a request for help. Anyone got a spare chute?

Our location as of Sat Nov 16th at 1pm is 16° 44′ N, 102° 26′ W.  Light wind and motoring conditions, it’s hot and sunny! My First 1000 miles on Maiden have been extremely enlightening and I’m enjoying learning from the incredibly experienced crew on board.

Cary and the SUP on the foredeck.

It sounds like I couldn’t have lucked out any better with this route – we’ve had quite a few days of beautiful downwind sailing and reaching. We’ve put almost every sail out, reefed the main at times, and are only now starting to motor for a longer stretch of time as we head inland and avoid tropical storm Raymond.  The majority of their round the world journey is upwind so this leg from Los Angeles to Antigua via the canal with some downwind Pacific sailing has been a great change of pace for the regular crew.

Sailing on a bigger boat than I’m used to in a moderate sea state certainly put me in my place at times. Sail changes are quite different than on my Catalina 34. Not a roller furler around, a lot more load, and few more halyards to navigate.

One of our biggest concerns and major discussion point currently is the possibility of getting ice cream upon reaching Panama. (We’re very hopeful, as it’s super hot on board.)

The spin that really shouldn’t be used up too quickly. Photo by Amalia Infante.

Another discussion point is the possibility of Maiden finding another asymmetrical spinnaker that fits the boat. When I first met the Maiden crew at their talk at CYC Seattle, someone was kind enough to ask if they needed anything. Their answer was another asym so they could keep the current (used) sail in one piece. They have been visiting schools globally and asking kids to place their handprint on the sail, creating a spiral which grows with each stop. These handprints represent the next generation’s desire for equality and belief in the potential of girls. Handprints will keep being added until the sail is completely covered. It looks beautiful up!  The message that sail carries is too important to lose, so it gets taken down quite early if it’s ever flown. 

As Maiden’s journey continues today it sounds like more racing is in her future. Tracy Edwards announced their intent to enter the 2023 Ocean Globe Race, and I would guess there shall be a few race entries between now and then – including talk of the Caribbean 600 this winter. Revisiting that talk in August that inspired me to apply, I was so proud of our Seattle sailing community for taking initiative to see how we can help. In addition to donations to the Maiden Factor Foundation charity, it would be amazing to find an asymmetrical spinnaker that fits their rig. 
So here’s the ask again: Does anyone have a gently used kite taking up space to donate to a very worthy cause? A2 or A3? Below are dimensions and contact info. Let’s do this PNW!

Dimensions of current A2: 
Foot: 12.1m Luff: 20.7m Leech: 23m Area: 219.1m²

Maiden’s Northwest Crew

Maiden’s Northwest Crew
Cary Kaczowka’s selfie before shoving off from San Diego.

The Maiden movie and her visit to Seattle have been over-the-top successes, bringing light to that groundbreaking effort in the 80s and putting a spotlight on the fact that sailing is for women as much as it is for men. We even found a solid PNW connection to the original crew.

The whole phenomenon has been a great message that has been too long in the shadows. As a journalist it’s been fun and a little surprising to watch. As a sailor it’s been thrilling.

The story continues as the boat heads to Antigua via the Panama Canal, and then the US East Coast and Europe. It turns out there are PNW connections to Maiden‘s current voyage with Seattle liveaboard Cary Kaczowka and Julia Briggs who apprenticed with Brian Toss in Port Townsend onboard as “mile builders” crew.

Maiden back in the day.

I’m hoping to have more insights and info from Cary in the weeks to come. So far, she says “We have a few New Englanders aboard, a new Skipper Liz Wardley (her blog is up on themaidenfactor.org website and it’s really great). I’m really getting used to a boat this size, a watch system and flying a staysail for the first time. I’ve never been on one tack for multiple days either! Mind is blown.

I’m looking forward to relaying Cary’s experiences with Sailish readers. This is a lot more than a boat, a crew or a passage.

A little more about Cary from the Maiden web site:

Cary Kaczowka

Cary, 28, is originally from Seekonk, Massachussetts, USA and attended Bishop Feehan High School. She graduated with a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering and Design Innovation & Society from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in 2013, and holds a M.S. in Materials Engineering from the University of Southern California. Cary has worked as an engineer with The Boeing

Company in Seattle, Washington for six years. She is active in the Society of Women Engineers, where she volunteers as a leadership coach. Sailing has been a part of her life since age 13 when she learned to sail on Yarmouth

Recreation’s wooden knockabouts in Cape Cod, MA, USA. During summer internships she was able to race weeknights in both Newport, RI and Charleston, SC – always the highlight of the week. Upon making her way out to Seattle, WA she began volunteering as an instructor at the Centre for Wooden Boats. She began racing locally, and she eventually bought her first home: a 34’ sailboat, a Catalina 34, S/V Sea Haven. Much of her free time is spent racing on local boats, maintaining her sailboat, cruising the Puget Sound and Salish Sea, and racing Sea Haven in local events such as Sloop Tavern Yacht Club’s Race Your House annual regatta. Owning her first big boat has been empowering and certainly changed the course of her life, and has helped reinforce her confidence as an engineer. She finds fulfilment sharing and teaching sailing, especially with women who are looking to refine their skills and get comfortable on the water.

Cary was eager to sail with the Maiden crew in order to gain offshore experience, improve her racing skills and learn from a talented crew of sailors, and looks forward to sharing her experiences with the local racing and sailing community.

SSYC Race to Fight Hunger

SSYC Race to Fight Hunger

Seattle Singles Yacht Club’s NW Harvest Benefit Race is coming up September 21st. It’s another great way NW sailors can have a little fun while helping the community. For all of us Elliott Bay Thursday Nighters, Duck Dodgers, Friday Take-your-timers etc., this is a great chance for a fun race when all the evening racing has been “blacked out.”

Here’s the NOR.

Here’s the course.

Have fun!