New FJs for UW

On Monday, June 6, multiple generations of Husky Sailing alumni and supporters celebrated the collegiate team’s new fleet of Flying Junior sailboats with a christening ceremony in the Sail Sand Point boatyard on the shores of Lake Washington.

The 12 new boats, a huge expansion for the Husky Sailing Team, represent a major achievement for the Husky Sailing Foundation (HSF), a recently formed nonprofit dedicated to supporting collegiate sailing at the University of Washington. 

The fleet represents a renewed dedication from the team and its supporters to continue a long and valued legacy of competitive sailing and a well-rounded collegiate athletic experience at Washington. With valuable insight from recent graduates, HSF identified the club sports program’s critical needs, including funding for equipment and coaching. The Jeff Wright family turned these needs into reality with several generous donations

Dozens of other supporters joined the cause, donating at various levels to name or dedicate the boats. As donors christened each boat, inspiring stories of female sailors, strong mothers, deep friendships and silly moments surfaced. More photos of the event available here.

Almost 70 people attended the event organized by HSF vice president Carol Buchan (‘80), which created a welcome crossroads as the current team mingled with donors, alumni and family. Mark Laura (‘75), a college sailing All American and HSF board member spearheading development, welcomed attendees and spoke about the ambitions of this new Husky Sailing partnership.

Husky Sailing team co-captain Sam Delasanta spoke, he will be the team’s fleet manager next year. The event also coincided with Maya Outhred stepping in as the new team captain and the ongoing expansion of the Husky Sailing Foundation’s board, led by president Brian Thomas (‘79).

Read on

Ed Note: Cara Kuhlman’s blog Future Tides will be one to watch. She’s covering waterfront news for both recreational and professional mariners.

Party on the Pier at Sail Sand Point

Party on the Pier at Sail Sand Point

Ed. Note: At the risk of redundancy, Sail Sand Point is a Seattle sailing treasure and we should support it. Based at Magnuson Park, it brings sailing to Seattle community. Between sailing lessons, open boating and hosting interscholastic regattas, it’s the place to be. The Party on the Pier is a great way to support it and fun. And the paella is to die for. -KH

From Seth Muir, Executive Director of SSP.

Sail Sand Point is returning with their annual Party on the Pier on July 30th. This event benefits their programs which serve over 15,000 people each year ranging from 8 year olds in Optis to 80 year olds in keelboats. Head down to Magnuson Park’s beautiful pier and enjoy live music, paella, libations and some light fundraising for a great cause–getting more people introduced to the joy of sailing! Info and tickets are available here: https://www.sailsandpoint.org/events/party-on-the-pier/

Co-Motion – A Blast from the Past

Co-Motion – A Blast from the Past
Co-Motion

Ed. Note: As one of many who scours Craigslist for those hidden gems, I saw Co-Motion and was confused and unimpressed. Now that I know the story, I’m intrigued to the max and would love to see her. I would HIGHLY recommend getting and reading this book. Combined with Bill Buchan’s “Star Fever,” it should make us all proud of the sailing culture of the PNW and the do-it-yourself-with-the-help-of-friends attitude. KH

By Dean Peoples

There is an exhilarating feeling in a sailing vessel when it starts to surf…

Reaching down a wave, the boat seems to rock back, spray shoots out from midship, and the knotmeter says 16+…

Carl Sutter, one of the founders of PNW racing and owner of Fisheries Supply, did a presentation on the history of sailing in the PNW a couple years ago for the Renton Sailing Center. He mentioned that one of the first ultra-lights sailed in Puget Sound, Co-Motion, was built by my father Phil Peoples. He also mentioned that he had seen it listed on Craigslist in Tacoma.

Having helped build and race the boat, I was interested in seeing it, so I contacted the owner, Ian Gegg, who had bought it from my brother, Will Peoples, in 1990. When Phil built the 42-foot sloop Zephyr, he sold Co-Motion to Will in 1980. Will rigged it, re-powered it, and cruised the San Juans.

Ian installed a J-35 mast and sails, added some structural improvements, and named it Who-Ah, as in ‘wild ride’. I was amazed to find the boat in good sailing condition and still winning races!

Phil, with the help of his wife, Robbie, wrote a booklet about the boat covering the concept, construction, testing, and the 1972 Vic-Maui Race.

Below is an excerpt from the booklet The Sailboat “Co-Motion” (One of the First Ultra-Lights) by Philip L. Peoples.

INTRODUCTION

I started handicap-racing sailboats in 1959 when my brother Sam and I bought an “R” Class boat named Lady Van.  It had been converted to “cruising accommodations” by the installation of bunks, head, sink, and inboard engine. According to Hans Otto Giese, one of Seattle’s sailing “gurus”, Lady Van was a “cruising racing-boat” while all the other competitors were “racing cruising-boats”.  Hans Otto respected Lady Van because she was faster than his 6-Meter, Oslo, despite the speed inhibiting conversion features.

Lady Van was not a typical cruising-boat

—–she was a “lead-mine” with half her 12,000 pound gross weight in her lead keel.  She was 39 feet long with 18 inches of freeboard.  She was “pinched” at bow and stern to minimize wetter surface. Many cruising boat skippers disliked her because she had a low handicap rating and was very fast in light wind conditions (which prevailed in the Seattle area). I loved her.

Ten years later (1969), I started construction of an ultra-light sailboat that was the exact opposite of Lady Van. Co-Motion was 37 feet long, very light at 8,000 pounds, and with a deep fin keel and 2700 pounds of lead. She was slow in light wind conditions and had a high rating (the opposite of Lady Van. Nevertheless, many cruising boat skippers disliked her at any race because she was “fast in moderate to fresh winds and ugly”. I loved her.

CHAPTER  1—–THE CONCEPT

In the middle of the 20th century, around 1950, ocean-going sailboats were designed with a lot of ballast and strength to endure difficult up-wind passages in the open sea. Despite this design approach, most long distance ocean races were mainly “off the wind” (down wind) because sailboats move faster, are more comfortable, and there is generally an “off the wind” course” that will get you to the finish line soonest. The longest, biggest, and most expensive boats were first to finish the races principally because of their long waterlines (and higher hull speeds). Accordingly, sailboat handicap rules were developed in an attempt to equalize the competition and give the smaller boats a chance. Then the designers tried to find “loopholes” in the handicap rule to give a new design an advantage over existing designs.

Co-Motion under construction, in a basement!

Some fairly odd boats were designed in this process and sailboat racing tended to degenerate into design competitions to “beat the rule” rather than produce fast sea-worthy sailboats. A few exceptions to this trend included the 72-foot Windward Passage that revolutionized large boat design and the Cal 40 and Buchan 37 that revolutionized the medium size design. These boats had three factors in common: relatively light weight, “easy” lines, and stability through beam and draft.

My personal experiences started out with light weight inland scows in 1930, then keel boats in Puget Sound in 1955 such as the 24-foot Blanchard Knockabout, a 39-foot R-Boat, and a 37 foot Buchan in 1965. I noticed a trend with the Buchan 37 that lighter “cruising” boats with good stability were faster in almost all conditions.  This connected with my experiences with very light inland lake scows which were extremely fast but had the disadvantage of capsizing unexpectedly.

I began to think about a new boat somewhere between a 38-foot “A” class scow and the Buchan 37 that would be very fast and would not capsize.

A backyard project!

The “A” scow won the Inland Lake Yachting Association championship race on August 21, 1924 (with gaff-rigged mainsail) and was sailed by a family friend, Leonard Carpenter of Lake Minnetonka. In those days, the “A” scow was one of the fastest sailing vessels in the world, running and reaching in excess of 20 knots. What I had in mind was a sea-worthy 37-foot boat that was much lighter and flatter than the Buchan.  Stability would be achieved with a deep fin keel, very low lead, and “hard” bilges.  My objective was to design and build a fast safe sailboat without regard to the handicap rules.I was encouraged after reading “Fast Boats” by Teale (1961) and predicted that the new boat would achieve 18 knots under the same conditions that the Buchan would achieve 12 knots, Fig. 3.  Fig. 4 compares sailboat performance parameters indicating that the new boat would be similar to the International 14 parameters in several respects but not quite meeting “planing requirements”. However, I felt that the new boat would surf downwind at about 20 knots for extended periods on the face of typical ocean waves (which advance at 20 to 40 knots).

As a consequence, I settled on a hull design concept outlined in Fig. 5 that should provide great boat speed under most conditions and light enough to be essentially unsinkable (gross weight slightly less than the displacement of hull and equipment).

To get an eBook or the printed booklet on the Co-Motion or the Zephyr email Dean Peoples at dpeopl@q.com.

For more info on Who-Ah, contact Ian Gegg at Islerinc@gmail.com.

West Coast Sailing and Zim Sailing Stepping Up – Again

West Coast Sailing and its sister Zim Sailing have agreed to sponsor hight school sailing for the coming years. This, combined with their recent sponsorship of college sailing, puts them front and center for dinghy sailing for the foreseeable future. Dinghy sailing has picked up participation, and this type of support helps the many young and enthusiastic sailors take it to new heights moving forward. Needless to say, these companies deserve our support. -KH

Here’s the press release:

Zim Sailing & West Coast Sailing Announce Multi-Year Sponsorship of High School Sailing

The Inter-Scholastic Sailing Association (ISSA) is excited to announce a new five-year sponsorship agreement with Zim Sailing and West Coast Sailing. These are two of North America’s leading suppliers of boats, parts and equipment, both owned and led by active supporters of high school sailing.

As Official Supplier of the Cressy Championship, Zim Sailing and West Coast Sailing will provide ILCA boats and sails for use at the regatta. In addition to providing equipment, both companies have created a unique cash contribution campaign based on the ecommerce platforms of Zim and WCS for contribution directly back to High School Sailing. Furthermore, athletes and teams can continue to enjoy existing discounts as well as a reduced price on branded screen-printed sails. This provides support directly to the member schools and athletes, in addition to generating funds to support the operations of High School Sailing.

“It’s very exciting to  welcome Zim Sailing and West Coast Sailing as sponsors,” says Tim Hogan, president of ISSA. “High school sailing is among the fastest-growing segments of the sport, and this sponsorship will help us continue to expand and serve our member schools. In addition to providing boats to our singlehanded championships, the discounts for our teams and sailors allow their funding and focus to be on what they do best; providing amazing opportunities to sail!”

Zim Sailing, founded by Steve Perry in 2008 in Bristol, Rhode Island, provides one-design sailboats, parts, accessories, and services to the North American market. They manufacture popular scholastic dinghies (including the FJ, C420, 420E, and ILCA) while engaging in grassroots youth development of yacht club junior sailing programs, community sailing and youth racing. Zim Sailing is seen at regattas around the country, providing charter boats and onsite support.

West Coast Sailing, founded in 2005 in Portland, Oregon by George Yioulos, is one of North America’s leading marine retailers, focusing on the dinghy racing and small keelboat market with an emphasis on e-commerce fulfillment and industry leading customer service. Yioulos, a former Marin Catholic High School sailor, brought West Coast Sailing and Zim Sailing under common ownership in 2021 – with the goal to expand support for sailing in North America.

“High School Sailing changed my life – it set me on a path to College Sailing, and then the last 17 wild years in the sailing industry.” said Yioulos. “The support of the community, the coaches, sailors and volunteers to make High School sailing happen year round – is awe inspiring. Being able to give back to ISSA – is immensely gratifying to us all .”

For sailors, programs and supporters of High School Sailing, this is an opportunity to work with a valued sponsor for all boats, parts, equipment, and apparel needs. Programs can set up accounts for easy online ordering with discounted pricing at these links for Zim Sailing and West Coast Sailing. Individual student athletes can take advantage of 15% off apparel and accessories purchases to get the gear they need to get on the water at a great value. Knowledgeable sailors are on hand to provide support and answer questions. More information can be found online at Zim Sailing and West Coast Sailing.

Contacts:

Zim Sailing

info@zimsailing.com

(401) 237-6117

West Coast Sailing

info@westcoastsailing.net

(503) 285-5536

Inter-Scholastic Sailing Association

info@hssailing.org

Four PNW Youth Programs Get US Sailing Support

US Sailing has definitely taken note of the youth sailing resurgence in the Pacific Northwest. The Bellingham, Hood River, Kitsap and Orcas communities will receive more funding as they continue to get more young sailors on the water. If you know a kid looking for a way into the sport, there are plenty of alternatives. Release below:

BRISTOL, R.I. (June 7, 2022) – Sailing centers throughout the country have been awarded grants to grow youth sailing through STEM and environmental education with the US Sailing Reach Initiative. The grants provide non-profit sailing centers with funds and resources to further their Reach program goals and provide more opportunities for students in their community.

The Reach Initiative utilizes sailing as an educational platform, challenging youth to embrace education, establish a love of learning and explore productive Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) based careers. Combining educators, sailing instructors, engineers, and scientists with today’s youth, Reach provides them with a one-of-a-kind authentic learning experience, giving students the opportunity to apply classroom learning in a cooperative work environment.

The following programs were selected for 2022 US Sailing Reach Youth Engagement grants. These grants were made possible by support from Rolex and US Sailing donors. Congratulations to the 2022 recipients.

Community Boating Center (Bellingham, WA) – The Community Boating Center’s mission is to foster small watercraft education, access, safe recreation, and marine stewardship on Bellingham Bay. The offer a variety of learn to sail programs, boat rentals, custom experiences, and paddling. This summer will be the first time they will implement the Reach modules, partnering with local schools and integrating them into the youth camps and youth instructor program.
Learn more about the Community Boating Center.

Dillon Junior Sailing Club Inc. (Dillon, CO) – Based in a small Colorado mountain ski resort community, Dillon Junior Sailing has local youth sailors and many visiting sailors throughout the summer. Their mission is teaching safety on the water, creating a fun learning experience, building confidence, and developing sailing skills. Lake Dillon is a fixture in the local summer economy and protecting the shore and waterway is important for the organization. New to Reach, they are excited to incentivize parents and students who are interested in engaging their minds in the outdoor classroom, adding a much-needed depth to the learn to sail experience.
Learn more about Dillon Junior Sailing.

GORGE Junior Sailing (Hood River, OR) – GORGE Junior Sailing (GJS) is dedicated to promoting the lifelong sport of sailing in a safe, fun, and educational environment to the Gorge community. With a focus on teaching sailing, the program also fosters growth in life skills such as sportsmanship, teamwork, independence, and responsibility. GJS implemented their first year of Reach programming in 2021 and in 2022 will be supporting 20 students from Hood River New School in a Reach spring elective. They are looking forward to expanding their program to more local schools and home-schooled groups while training their staff in the Reach curriculum this year. 
Learn more about GORGE Junior Sailing.

Green Bay Sail & Paddle (Green Bay, WI) – Green Bay Sail & Paddle creates opportunities for all area youth and families, regardless of means and abilities, to safely enjoy sail and paddle sports on the waters of Green Bay. In the past few years, they have grown their Reach programming and recently partnered with the Green Bay Public Schools. This new partnership will offer an 8-week program to the youth in that district. Additionally, they have added more STEM weeks of camp and participated in several community events, doing Reach modules with attendees. 
Learn more about Green Bay Sail & Paddle.

Henderson Harbor Water Sports Programs (Henderson Harbor, NY) – The mission of Henderson Harbor Water Sports Program (HHWSP) is to promote learning, safety, and fun on and in the water; and, to have a positive impact on students, community, and the environment. Their primary partner for leading STEM and Reach camps is the Henderson Town Recreation Program. Together they will provide valuable STEM education and sailing experiences for a number of youth in their community who previously did not have the opportunity to sail. They will introduce students to water-based STEM, sailing, safe boating, and environmental stewardship.
Learn more about Henderson Harbor Water Sports Programs

Hudson River Community Sailing (New York, NY) – Hudson River Community Sailing (HRCS) develops leadership and academic success in underserved New York City youth and provides maritime education and recreation to the community at large. HRCS has been running STEM-based programming since its founding in 2008, partnering directly with public schools to offer a credit-bearing after school program (Sail Academy) built on the math and science of sailing. Recently, their City Sail summer programming has grown, and they are excited to implement Reach with more students in this program in 2022. 
Learn more about Hudson River Community Sailing.

Kitsap Sailing & Rowing Foundation (Silverdale, WA) – The Kitsap Sailing & Rowing Foundation believes that learning to sail and row teaches important life skills like teamwork, decision making, and appreciation of the natural environment. Competitive sailing and rowing require tactical and strategic thinking and physical ability. With each experience on the water, young people gain self-confidence, self-esteem and a sense of camaraderie and accomplishment. Kitsap Sailing Foundation has been utilizing STEM activities and the Reach curriculum during their summer learn to sail camps for years. They are adding an ROV to their camp resources this year in partnership with the Port Townsend STEM Club. They look forward to training more instructors in the Reach (STEM) Educator Course this year and offering Sailing Through STEM events for the community.
Learn more about Kitsap Sailing & Rowing Foundation. 

Sail Orcas (Eastsound, WA) – Sail Orcas is a volunteer-run nonprofit public charity that exists to share the joy of sailing with both youth and adults by providing high quality instruction and easy access to boats and facilities. They strive to teach this lifetime sport by promoting safe boat handling, teamwork, sportsmanship, camaraderie, and marine stewardship. They offer a Marine Science and Sailing Camp and a Recycle Regatta each year. This year they are growing their camp with additional materials and scientist tools to increase the impact for their participants and support them in developing a stronger sense of environmental stewardship. 
Learn more about Sail Orcas.

Sheboygan Youth Sailing Center (Sheboygan, WI) – Sheboygan Youth Sailing Center’s mission is to cultivate an appreciation of the sport of sailing within the Sheboygan community by developing the skills to safely crew and skipper a sailboat at a reasonable price. For six summers they have utilized the Reach curriculum with the Sheboygan Area School District Summer School Program and integrated it into their regular sailing classes. This year they plan to grow their Reach programming through specific summer camps and events.  
Learn more about Sheboygan Youth Sailing Center.

Sodus Bay Junior Sailing Association – Sodus Bay Junior Sailing Association (SBJSA) is committed to making the joys of sailing & other watersports available to everyone, building lifelong boaters & fostering responsible eco-awareness & stewardship of their beautiful Sodus Bay on Lake Ontario. In 2021 they introduced 300 participants to STEM using the Reach modules. They are working to add more fun and creativity with Reach modules in 2022 while allowing students to pursue their curiosity of sailing and the environment. 
Learn more about Sodus Bay Junior Sailing Association.

Click here to learn more about the US Sailing Reach Initiative and for information on you can get involved.

Sail Sand Point Kickoff Party

Sail Sand Point Kickoff Party

If you’re not involved with Sail Sand Point in some way, you are missing out. It’s a chance for sailing, teaching, community, fun and to give back. If you’ve been missing out, fortunately there’s a kickoff party this Saturday so you can catch up All for free! From Executive Director Seth Muir:

We’d love to have you come join us this Saturday for our free community Season Kick-Off Party. There will be live music, boat rides (starting at 4), available rentals of SUPS, kayaks and sailboats, a BBQ and games. And tasty food and drinks next door at the Magnuson Cafe and Pub. We hope to see you all down at Sail Sand Point!

Sail Sand Point Fundraising

Sail Sand Point remains an amazing community sailing center for kids and adults who don’t own a boat, but want to sail, or just get their feet wet. It also has become a mecca for kids looking to jump off the wharf! SUPs and kayaks are also available. I have sailed several Monday nights with my two boys on Flying Juniors and RS Quests. The boys like the small boats but no longer fit just behind the mast of a Laser. Please consider supporting Sail Sand Point. Here is Executive Director Seth Muir’s call for donations:

“From July 1st through Labor Day of 2021, Sail Sand Point are running their annual summer fundraising campaign and we’d encourage you to support this local gem. Sail Sand Point is Seattle’s non-profit Community Sailing and Small Boating Center located on Lake Washington whose mission is to share the joy of sailing with anyone, regardless of their age, background or ability. Each year countless numbers of youngsters and adults begin their sailing journey through their popular camps, classes and lessons. Their Open Boating rental program, Community Groups Programs, Youth Racing and hand-launch boat storage yard are a major asset to this community– and all their programs are subsidized with a generous scholarship pool raised each year. These efforts enable many who couldn’t otherwise sail to get onto the water enjoying the sport we love. This year SSP are fundraising for extra security personnel for the busy weekends at their public waterfront site, and for new safety gear like radios and pfds. Please consider supporting their non-profit by visiting https://www.sailsandpoint.org/donate/

Seth Muir

Northwest Harvest – Wrap on September’s Race

Congratulations to the Seattle Singles YC for putting a fine regatta on back in September! Gallery here. Results here.

Sue Weiss reports on a blustery good time:

Thanks for Bruce’s weather predictions!  Strong southerly winds made it a perfect day to race to Blakely Rock and support NW Harvest.  

Three long time supporters returned to Seattle Singles Yacht Club’s 28th Northwest Harvest Benefit Race September 26.  Alan Vogt (Mountaineers) continued his winning tradition by taking first place in his NFS class Saturday on Blue Fin.  It was the 25th year that he has participated in this event, having done the race since its first year August 14, 1993.  He moved out of state for a few years, returned,  resumed racing, and winning.    

2020 NW Harvest Benefit Race is September 26th

Those energetic folk at the Seattle Singles Yacht Club are at it again, COVID or no COVID. They’re looking at a huge increase in attendance this year over past years and raising even more money for Northwest Harvest. And for those of us without any crew looking for some distraction from the pandemic there’s the Half Fast (spelling?!?) class, where one can just motor along without apology. Remember the huge needs here now and coming for the Northwest Harvest food bank. For more information on entering and donating, click here.

Skippers–please mark your calendars for the 28th annual sailboat race to benefit Northwest Harvest held by Seattle Singles Yacht Club! As in past years, the race will be held out of Shilshole Bay Marina starting at  11 a.m. Unfortunately, because of the pandemic the traditional dinner/dance/auction will not be held, making the race even more important AND allowing a Race Around the Rock (Blakely Rock). 

The race is for NFS, FS and a category called Half Fast – for sailboat skippers who don’t want to have the pressure of winning a race and for M/V people who’d just like to cruise across the Sound to the Rock and back.  NFS and FS winners, including multi-hulls, will get prizes.  The Half Fast winner will be drawn from the hat and get a prize.

Skippers and crew must follow state COVID 19 requirements in effect on race day.  i.e. limit skipper & 4 crew, no after party, etc.  Register for the race at seattlesinglesyc.com.

Race entry fee is $75 and that includes a gift certificate for the skipper to Little Coney (& $10 @ crew for gift certificates to Little Coney.)  For more information email vicecommodore@seattlesinglesyc.com or balsuesails@gmail.com.

The 2019 Race to Fight Hunger winners were:

Flying Sails Fast:                                                                   

First: Allen Johnson on Charlotte, a Quest 30 pictured above.
Second: Mike Sinclair on Surt, a C & C 41.
Third: Vincent DePillis on Freda Mae, a Corsair 31

Flying Sails Slow:

First: Jeff Blyth on Mata Hari, a Catalina 36 pictured above.
Second: Teresa Leupold on Norn, a Santa Cruz 27
Third: Joe Grande on Whisper, a Catalina 32

Non Flying Sails winners:

First: Alan Vogt on Blue Fin, a Catalina 42, pictured above.
Second: Brad Lefton/Karina Gilje on In Deep, a Bavaria 35

Third: Kari Ingalls on Quack! Quack!, a Hunter 30

Half Fast:  Drawn from a hat

First: Mike Hirsch on High Hopes, a Nauticat 44.

Wooden Boat Festival (Virtual) Sept. 12

Wooden Boat Festival (Virtual) Sept. 12

Like so very many things this year, the Wooden Boat Festival is going online. One of the truly great PNW events starts September 12. More information here.

There are plenty of great videos that spark a lot of interest – even remotely. I counted about six I really want to see with the viking ship and Western Flyer (for us Steinbeck fans) restoration project chief among them. Experts and the filmmakers will be available to discuss.

There’s no word yet if there’s some way to get the amazing sawdust and general wooden boat construction smells through the computer to your nostrils, but I’m told they’re working on that. Here’s their promo video to get you going.